Skip to main content

Donald Trump Announces Significant Reduction of Joint Military Exercises with South Korea

U.S. President Donald Trump, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, announced a plan to “significantly reduce” joint military drills with South Korea. In a post on Truth Social, Trump also revealed that South Korea declined to participate in recent American efforts to denuclearize Iran. “These exercises are not only expensive, but a large portion is always paid for by the United States, and they send a completely inappropriate and hostile message,” he stated. Seoul has confirmed that the military exercises will proceed according to their “pre-scheduled timeline.” Pyongyang has not responded to the announcement.

Last month, North Korea conducted ballistic missile tests in violation of United Nations sanctions. On Sunday, Trump used social media to say that it was “too late” to postpone the annual joint military drills scheduled between the U.S. and South Korea starting Monday. “Maybe not directly related (?), but I recently asked South Korea’s president if they wanted to join us in efforts for the Islamic Republic of Iran’s nuclear disarmament, and he said, ‘Thanks, no need,'” Trump added. His comments followed the sharing of an old photo from 2018 showing him with Kim Jong-un, which had circulated on social media less than 24 hours earlier.

Last week, senior U.S. and South Korean military officials held a joint press conference to discuss the upcoming “Ulchi Freedom Shield” exercises. The officials noted that the 11-day drills would continue at a similar scale to previous years, with roughly 18,000 South Korean soldiers participating. During the briefing, military leaders also mentioned North Korea’s deployment of troops to support Russia’s conflict against Ukraine. Referring to North Korean soldiers returning from the battlefield, U.S. Army spokesperson Ryan Donald said, “Our training also addresses that threat.” Approximately 28,500 U.S. troops remain stationed in South Korea.

On Friday, North Korea’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs condemned the joint military exercises as “preparations for an aggressive war.” What does Trump’s statement signify? The exercises are planned following the detection of North Korea’s second missile test within days by South Korea, the U.S., and Japan. After high-level diplomacy with President Trump during his first term failed, the North Korean leadership has since expanded its nuclear weapons and missile programs. Notably, seven years ago, Trump became the first sitting U.S. president to set foot on North Korean soil.